To coincide with the release of data concerning December 2020 Product Approvals, we thought we’d also highlight some of the interesting trends we’ve seen approved since October 2020. This information was gathered using our latest tool, Label Inquiry.
- Diageo has received product approvals for Smirnoff Pink Lemonade Vodka (approved 12/3/2020) as well as Smirnoff Ice Pink Lemonade (12/8/2020)
- Labatt Blue Light Seltzer Lemonade and also in Peach, Raspberry, and Black Cherry (approved 12/15/2020)
Alternative Packaging for Wines
- Bota Box Breeze Pinot Grigio, Sauvignon Blanc, Red Blend, and Rose (low-calorie offerings from Delicato, approved 11/10/2020)
- Constellation received approvals for Robert Mondavi Private Selection 1.5L Boxed Wine Buttery Chardonnay, Cabernet Sauvignon (approved 10/7/2020) as well as Ruffino Pinot Grigio 1.5L Boxed Wine (approved 10/22/2020) and Ruffino Rosso 1.5L Boxed Wine (approved 10/6/2020)
- Barefoot Fruitscato 3L Boxed Wine Sweet Strawberry, Sweet Blueberry, and Sweet (from Gallo, approved 12/8/2020)
- Pool House by Francis Ford Coppolla canned wines in Pinot Noir, Rose, Brut Rose, and Sauvignon Blanc (featuring 75 calories per serving labeling) – also approved as 750ml (approved 1/14/2021)
- Belvedere Organic Infusions Vodka Soda (98 calories per can) in Blackberry & Lemongrass, Pear & Ginger, and Lemon & Basil (approved 12/17/2020). Belvedere also received approvals for the same infusions in an 80 proof Vodka format
- Beefeater Botanics Blackberry Lemon & Thyme, Raspberry & Mint, and Lemon & Ginger (approved 10/28/2020).
- Plant Botanical Vodka Seltzer in Strawberry Mint, Pineapple Lemonade, Blood Orange Lime, and Passion Fruit Pear (approved 12/28/2020)
- This trend is prevalent across the board, especially within the seltzer/seltzer-like space where every product approved seems to convey how there are less than 100 calories per can/serving. Even wine products are entering this mix (including Bota Box Breeze and Pool House mentioned above)
- Chateau Ste. Michelle Elements in Papaya Jasmine White Blend, Strawberry Hibiscus Rose, and Peach Ginger White Blend (all marked as 90 calories per serving, approved 12/1/2020)
- Kim Crawford Illuminate Sauvignon Blanc and Rose (70 calories per serving, approved 11/3/2020)
And now, our usual monthly update:
TTB Approved 164.1K Products L12M through December 2020, A Decrease of -15.6K (–8.7%)
- Beer: 39.8K products approved over the L12M (–3.3% vs. last year) and 9.6K over the L3M (–2.7% vs. last year)
- Spirits: 18.4K products approved over the L12M (+15.1% vs. last year) and 5.2K over the L3M (+9.4% vs. last year)
- Wine: 105.9K products approved over the L12M (–13.6% vs. last year) and 24.8K over the L3M (–6.5% vs. last year)
- Domestic: 91.8K products approved over the L12M (+3.6% vs. last year) and 21.5K over the L3M (+5.7% vs. last year)
- Imports: 72.3K products approved over the L12M (–20.7% vs. last year) and 18.2K over the L3M (–12.9% vs. last year)
For more information regarding Product Approvals including detailed category breakdowns and origin information (State for Domestic products and Country for Imported products), subscribe to the bw166 Product Approvals Report or visit our website at www.bw166.com.