|The bw166 Total Beverage Alcohol Advance report shows overall consumer spending on Beverage Alcohol to be $277.5 Billion, +3.6% versus last year. Some key observations for twelve months ending January 2020:|
- The bw166 serving index is at 123.11, a 1.2% increase over the same period last year.
- The legal drinking age (LDA) population is now 243.5 million, +1.0% versus last January.
- 75% of the growth in the LDA population is represented by consumers over age 60.
- Per capita consumption is only up marginally over the last year.
- Spirits are driving all of the growth in servings in the beverage alcohol category.
- Off-Premise Beverage Alcohol spending totals $158.5 Billion, +2.6%.
- On-Premise Beverage Alcohol spending totals $119.0 Billion, +5.0%.
- Consumers are shifting more of their On-Premise spending to Limited-Service Eating Places, where spending grew +10.5% over the last twelve months. Full-Service Restaurants grew +3.7% during this period.
Note: The methodology bw166 uses to calculate total consumer spending has been revised in this current report to more accurately reflect the total market. This change has increased baseline spending by 4% though general trends have not changed.